Thursday, January 1, 2009

Back in the Mac

Icestock Welcomes you to 2009
A Flight Across the Sound. Mt. Erebus, an Iceberg, and a Cloudy McMurdo Sound

Animal Life on the Ice

After being in the Dry Valleys since November 10th, my crew and I returned to McMurdo Station on Tuesday (12/30). This flight had a different feel than the previous flight across McMurdo Sound. Back in November, my eyes were scanning in every direction, and I didn't allow myself to take in the beauty of the world around me. This time, I was able to suppress the giddy little kid in me, and enjoy the sights. There were low lying clouds that hid McMurdo Station until we were just a few miles out. Once we landed, a place that was so familiar to me back in November, felt a bit foreign. There were vehicles and people shuffling all over. Living and interacting with only a hand full of people for the past 50 days had an effect on me that is tough to describe. It is as if life in town and life in the Valleys are two different worlds. It took a bit of time to adjust.
Once in town we were assigned a dorm room fitted for five, fortunately it is only myself and colleague in the room. The first item on the to do list, a hot shower! The next item on the to do list, laundry! If only the blogosphere had sensory outputs in addition to the visual outputs (consider yourself lucky). We then went to the galley for dinner, it was nice to have your meal cooked and dishes cleaned for you. Another change I realized, I now get ice cream stuck in my mustache when I eat an ice cream cone, a little added flavor if you will. We then turned in for the night to sleep in an actual bed and flick a switch to make the room completely dark, another foreign feeling. The next day came quick and we were organizing, regrouping, and preparing for the celebration of the New Year.
Icestock began at 1830 (6:30 p.m.), with bands playing, people dancing, and spirits flowing, we began 2009 with a bang! Some people were wigging out (thats what we do on holidays), I left mine in the valleys. A little bluegrass and cover songs were played that worked people into a frenzy. The ten second count down began and the sky was as blue as can be. Who would of thought I'd have a new years with complete daylight? An experience I will never forget. After the fun police pulled the plug, the party was shifted to an old storage building equipped with a DJ and colored lights. On the dance floor people were grooving and shaking, myself included. We partied late into the night and then I walked back to my dorm under the summer sun high in the sky.
Today we tied up a few loose ends and got some rest to prepare for the work ahead. Tomorrow (1/2) I will be heading back into the valley for another extended stay. When we left the streams were ripping and roaring, I expect the same upon our return. With the passing of the New Year we should see a drop in temperatures and stream flow over the next few weeks. Only time will tell. After spending so much time in the field for the first leg, this next month will fly by. As for now, Happy New Year!!!! Welcome to 2009!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cor:
After speaking to you yesterday, your New Year, I was anxiously awaiting your next blog. Dad and I certainly had some great laughs reading it this morning, now 2009! Happy Happy New Year to you and this will probably be your most memorable one you will ever have. It is awesome that you have been able to write about it on your blog for keepsake. I am sure everyone that follows all of your blogs will love hearing how you spent your New Year and your thoughts on going from out in the field to Mactown. Sounds like you have a lot of work in front of you and the time will fly. Stay safe and warm, Love, MOM and DAD

Mrs. Knox said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR COREY!
We are continuing to follow your adventures through your blog. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Shannon said...

Happy New Year Corey! Sounds like you had a great time. I'm sure it's one you will never forget! Stay safe. We miss you!
Shannon

Criso Jackass said...

"had an effect on me that is tough to describe"

He he, you took the red pill! Nice!

Happy New Year Corey, looks like a good one down there. Your Mother is remarkably perceptive, you do have a lot of work in front of you and the time will fly. Try to keep your perspective, sure it's a job, but oh what a job!

Some of the most incredible changes occur in January.

And that raft will make it, don't let them tell you otherwise, that first descent is still out there I think...

Mrs. Guenette said...

Hi Corey -

Happy New Year from Grade 10 Computer Tech students at Old Colony! We wish you all the best in 2009! What was different about your Christmas cookies? Your blog is really great and we are enjoying reading during school.
We are working on a class video to send to you.