One of the Many Ventifacts above Lake Bonney
Seuss GlacierMy teammate and I were dropped at Lake Bonney on Friday (12/19) to work on our stream sites we had there. After a day of measuring and sampling I had some free time, so I decided to take a solo hike up a steep incline to an area where I was told I could find ventifacts. A ventifact is a rock that has been shaped by wind blown particles, such as sand or ice crystals. They are found in dry environments, such as the desert that I currently inhabit. The rock features I saw were incredible. Some looked like waves, fine art, and pretty much anything you could creatively imagine. With no people or shelters in sight, the views from up high gave me that feeling of the last man on Earth again. I couldn't stop laughing and smiling.
The following day, the two of us set out on a hike to Lake Hoare Camp down the Taylor Valley (the camp I've referred to as my weekend resort.) We started out hiking up to a ridge above our camp at the lake basin. With a 40 lb. pack strapped to my back, I could feel the burn in my legs as we climbed upwards. At the time I was thinking the payoff would come when we reached the top (as well as riding halfpipe when I return to Colorado). Once at the top of the ridge, we took a quick breather, sipped water from our Nalgenes, snapped photos, and continued on. As we hiked, I continued to look all around me at the glaciers and mountain peaks above, as well as the basin below. Shortly after we came upon an ungauged low flowing stream. A quick dip of the hands and the water was the best I have had in my life, coming directly from the glacier above the ridge. We rock hopped across the stream and began our descent down the mountain. An hour or two later we came to the defile at the Seuss Glacier, where we followed a path along the glacial terminus on our way to a gauging site on the opposite side of the glacier. As we made our way to our site, there were small glacial waterfalls forming low streams that trickled into another ice covered lake, Lake Chad. We soon got to our gauge, got our work done, and headed on to Lake Hoare Camp. We arrived at Lake Hoare camp at around 1800 hours (6 p.m.), filtered our samples and sat down to eat an hour later. The camp manager had cooked up some Indian food and it was delicious, I went for seconds. After the long day and a great meal, I did some reading, zipped up my sleeping bag and was fast asleep. Overall the trip was 7 hours, covering a distance of about 8 miles, and change in elevation of 1,500 feet. What a day!!!
3 comments:
Corey,
Great article!
I hardly recognize the "Long Haired Bearded Man", but your nose gave you away.
The rock formations are really quite interesting. The views must be spectacular!
We will be thinking of you on Christmas (and every hour in between).
Love,
Dad
Cor:
The pictures of the ventifacts are amazing, like you said, Fine Art. I am sure you took more and I can't wait to see them. Yes you are looking like a man in the WILD with the hair and beard, but still our same Corey. It sounds like you had an incredible day, hiking and the sights, for sure. I can see you now, laughing and smiling all by yourself out there and loving it. It is probably colder here now than Down on the Ice where you are, and everyone is complaining. The snow is great and you know us, we love the winter. Have a great Christmas and we will surely miss you, Love, MOM
Hey Bud
wanted to drop you a note and wish you what I am sure will be a most unusual Christmas. We will miss you dropping by on Christmas Eve but at least you have a great excuse for not showing up. Enjoy a different take on "Peace on Earth" and be safe.
Big Ed
P.S. Get a haircut
Post a Comment