Canada Stream 11/14/2008 (Left) and Canada Stream 12/08/2008 (Right)The temperature has been rising over the past week or so. At the start of last week, we had clear blue skies and temperatures hovering around 32 degrees. We saw streams flowing, Huey Creek and Lost Seal Stream, for the first time into Lake Fryxell. I thought that would be a jump start and all the streams would be flowing. But a low pressure system moved into the Dry Valleys with clouds and temperatures in the low to mid twenties. This shut off the faucet, so to speak, and the streams mentioned above weren't flowing at all the next day. We visited Lake Bonney, which we had seen flow the week before, only to find the same result, no flow. A short helo ride to Lake Hoare where we spend most of our weekends and gauge two streams. By Saturday, the sun was shining and the temperatures were rising, a steamy 34 degrees. Both streams were flowing and we went to work making discharge measurements and collecting water samples. That is what we will be doing at each stream visit from now until the temperatures drop and streams no longer flow.
In the Canada Stream photos, you can see the difference in a stream due to rising temperatures as we begin the warmest part of the austral summer. We will try and visit streams at different times of day/"night" to determine the volume of water moving through the system when the source glaciers are receiving different amounts of sun. For instance, tonight my team and I will be heading out at 2000 hours (8 p.m.) to a couple of different streams because that is when peak flow is expected. This will give us a better understanding of how much water is flowing at low flow and peak flow periods.
Today we took a helo flight to the Onyx River in the Wright Valley. We saw flow here for the first time all season as well. In the picture, I am making a discharge measurement. This is found by measuring the width of the stream and taking depth measurements at increments across the stream. This gives you the area of your cross section. At each increment a water velocity measurement is made. Multiplying the velocities by the area will calculate a discharge measurement, which is reported in cubic feet per second. The measurement and sampling is only half the fun, the other part is the trips to and from the locations.
6 comments:
Corey,
I am so jealous of you and your insane job. I want to know how to get into something like this by avoiding the University of Colorado in Boulder as much as possible. I wonder if CSU has a program like this and if it would be possible to go to Antarctica. Can’t wait till you get home and to do some shredding in the Rockies.
Hey Cor,
So glad everything down there seems to be going well. Just talked to you today and you were wide awake at 3 AM your time, 9 AM our time. So weird about no big christmas things and you not being home for christmas. But at least santa still knows where you are:
forumrida9: although my mom sent me a package and it was dropped off in a red helicopter
forumrida9: hhaa santas sleigh
Loved talking to you. Stay safe.
Miss you!
Hi Corey -
Glad I checked your blog tonight, because we'll be reading it tomorrow as a class. My students will have a better understanding of why you are collecting water samples. The pictures are great! I just finished baking cookies for your mom's holiday cookie exchange that she's having tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing her and some old friends. Thinking of you and I'm excited to see the progress your making!
Cor:
Great info on this particular blog. Technical stuff that you put into words to understand. Love the pictures too. Brad said that you had tried to call him at his office, I guess he was on the road. You'll have to try again. It is pouring rain today, should be snow as far as I am concerned. I think they are getting some up north. As Mrs. G mentioned, my cookie exchange is tonight, should be a blast. I am sending another package out to you today, but it will be awhile until you get it, it is let's say for a Happy New Year. Love you lots, MOM
Mrs. Wilson,
I am upset I wasn't invited to the cookie exchange, I love me some cookies.
Scotty,
What's up buddy? Haven't seen you in forever, look like the same old funny man, tell Brad I said Hey, and drink some Coors Light for me...
Corey,
Hope you have a great holiday season in the Artic. Get back and show your brother how to shred. I have been sending out some copies of your scenic pictures at work, some like the view others like the fact that it looks colder someone else. Keep up the good work.
Yo bro, sorry I missed your call the other day at work. It was the one day I started out in the field and was not in the office until 11:00. How things going down there, looks like its starting to warm up. I am supposed to be shredding with Jhanna tomorrow getting fresh. I will catch you soon. Stay fresh!
Post a Comment