Friday, October 24, 2008

The Journey Begins...



















Hello everyone out there on the interweb!!!   I'm currently sitting in my comfortable room in Boulder, Colorado, but all that is about to change.  As many of you know I am about to head south, way south, Antarctica south!!!  I will be flying from Denver, CO to Los Angeles, CA where I will then board a plane heading for Auckland, New Zealand.  Another short flight from Auckland and I arrive in Christchurch, New Zealand.  I leave at 6 p.m. from Denver on Thursday (10/23) and arrive at 6 a.m. in Christchurch on Saturday (10/25) morning.  So much for Friday?  
     In Christchurch (or "cheech" as the seasoned vets like to call it) I will be loading up on my extreme cold weather gear which I will need for my stay in the Dry Valleys of Antarctica.  On the 27th of October I will board a C-17 Cargo plane for about a 4 1/2 hour flight to McMurdo Station, Antarctica (in the picture just above the words Ross Sea).  McMurdo Station is the main United States research facility in Antarctica.  A short stay there and I am off to the Dry Valleys, where I will spend the majority of my summer.  I will be posting pictures and writing about the experiences that are to come.  Along with my experiences I will be posting Antarctic facts and corresponding with Mr. Saulnier's 8th grade Science class at my old middle school in Acushnet, Massachusetts.  Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cor:
So exciting to read your first entry: The Journey Begins. We hope you have a very safe trip and we are always thinking of you. Can't wait to hear from you again, Love, M $ D

Allicyn Cote said...

I am excited to follow your journey... I love to read about people's travels and this is certainly not a usual one! Best of luck, Corey!

Allicyn

Scotty said...

Bro:
your trip sounds like so much fun besides spending the entire day on a plane. Take some dope pics for ur little bro. I will get some early season shredding in for so i will ride twice as hard. Call me when ever you want our ill talk to u online. Have a safe trip down to the ice bro. Best of luck from ur little bro.

Shannon said...

Good luck Corey! Look forward to reading.

Shannon

Bryan Lorenz said...

Corey- Im reading a magazine article about antarctica and im learning about it in atoc class, seems like the place to be! Cant believe your really on the ice! I cant wait to see what happens next in your journey. This is the coolest thing any of our friends has ever done!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Corey,
This is so exciting to see what you're doing, step by step. We're thrilled to follow your journey. Wish you well and stay WARM!!!
The Bernats
Charlene, Marc, Dave, and Steve