Friday, October 31, 2008

A Unique Opportunity


Me and Wu.
The past couple days I have been doing work in the lab to prepare for sample collecting and checking field gear to make sure it is ready to be transported out to the Dry Valleys.  Currently, temperatures are too cold in the valleys and the glaciers have not begun to ablate (melt).  There is still a lot of work to be done in McMurdo to prepare for the season, but in about a week I will ship out and prepare the gauges for the first flow of the streams.  
Today, I was given the unique opportunity to assist a film crew in an under water dive.  The world renowned under water cinematographer/photographer Norbert Wu (www.norbertwu.com) is doing a series of dives under the Ross Ice Shelf for a documentary titled Life.  I was lucky enough to assist him for one of those dives.  This documentary, Life, is being done by the BBC/Discovery Channel building on the series, Planet Earth, which many of you (like myself) fell in love with about two years ago.  Planet Earth was focused on the different processes and cycles of our planet, while Life will build upon that, and focus more on the incredible interactions of wildlife that thrive across the globe.  Watching Planet Earth, I never thought I would assist, be it a very small part, film makers in capturing such amazing footage.  The filming of the documentary has already been in progress for the past three years and is set to release in 2010.  Mr. Wu and his assistant dawned dry suits and jumped into a hole in the ice (pictured above), about 50 yards from an ice covered shore (and people call me crazy).  The thickness of the ice is about 15 to 20 feet, before they hit open ocean water.  They continued to descend to the sea floor at a depth of about 85 feet. They remained submerged for about 30 minutes.  Once on the sea floor they set up a Nikon digital camera for time lapse cinematography.  What were they shooting you ask?  The time lapse captured sea worms, sea spiders, and among other organisms, sea urchins.  Creatures of the depths, hence, LIFE!  
Antarctica is truly an amazing place to be.  Just the other day I attended a lecture titled, A Science/Art Conversation.  This lecture was a conversation between a scientist studying foramnifera (microscopic unicelluar organisms that are a key to past climates) and a Kiwi artist.  The basis of the discussion was how both, art and science, can influence each other.  The artist created works from the scientist's research being done in a unique landscape such as Antarctica.  While the scientist used the artist's works to create an experiment with a different substrate for the microscopic organisms to grow.  Fascinating!  I myself (if schedules line up) may be accompanied by an artist out in the field, who will be working with snow and ice.  I hope it happens!  I also received an email from Mr. Saulnier's science class back at Ford Middle School, with some great questions from the students.  I'm in the process of answering those questions and will post the Q&A soon.  Here is a link to some pictures that I have captured over the past couple days: Photos!  Stay tuned for more to come...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Corey

You talk about luck what are the chances of working on a project like that. Your dad and I where talking about how great the pictures have been coming out. They look like they are right out of National Geographic He was telling me about the show Planet Earth also. I got my son Joshua hooked on your blog he’s into all that scientific stuff also. Keep up the great work on the blog all those students are learning something about The Planet and about following a dream. By the way Happy Halloween and Mrs. Wilson a penguin come on how about an Eskimo.... just kidding. Stay safe and keep warm.

Unknown said...

Hey Corey, great reading and photo's. Glad you arrived safely, what a great opportunity. have fun and stay safe.
Mr. Knox

Anonymous said...

Corey,
The pictures and articles are fantastic! We are all talking about you here on the "Dry Land". How exciting you; and us to watch. Mom and I watched Eight Below last night and we can't get you off our minds.
Keep up the good work. Keep the pics and notes coming. Many of us look everyday (like seeing the blog Hits).
Stay SAFE and keep WARM!
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Corey,
The pictures and articles are fantastic! We look everyday. You can tell we are all talking about your Expedition here on the "Dry Land". Mom and I watched Eight Below last night and can't get you off our minds. What a great experience, one you'll talk about for the rest of your life!
Keep up the good work. Take everything in. Keep the pics and notes coming.
Stay SAFE and keep WARM!
Love, Dad

Roy said...

Corey, I too work with your father. Like he says, everyone is starting to check in every day to read your blog. I think what you are doing is a great adventure. I too am an adventurist. I am a storm chaser and I understand when people say "you must be crazy". When I go to chase tornadoes I do it for scientific (to help save peoples lives)and personal reasons. I love the power of Mother Nature. You must be in awe at times when out on the ice. Something not too many people have witnessed. Same for me when witnessing tornaodoes. Unlike Frank I think I would do an Antacrtica expedition for the experience if I was younger and had the opportunity. Although I like sun and beachs as well. Corey, I hope you experience all that you wish for. Stay safe.

Roy

Anonymous said...

Hi Corey

As you can see your dad is a rooky at blogging nice to see he finally found the time to write. What happened Gary one wasn’t enough for you. Well Halloween came and went and here we are in November at a cool 48 degrees and I’m starting to think of what HOT spot to vacation at this Winter. We turn the clocks back tonight and gain an extra hour of sleep that we lost in the spring. Tuesday is Election Day…well Wednesday for you and we will soon have a new President. How are you going to cast your vote??? Hope all is well down down under and that you’re enjoying your weekend. Ok Corey stay safe keep warm……..

Shannon said...

Hey Corey,

I love reading your blog. We all think about you all the time. Good luck and keep up the good work. Stay warm and safe!

Shannon