After spending the night out in the elements I am back at McMurdo Station. I was taking a course, along with about 20 other individuals, on how to react in an emergency situation. The location of my upcoming work will require me to take helicopter flights to remote locations in the Dry Valleys. While there have been thousands of unproblematic transports to remote locations in Antarctica, there is the possibility of disaster (don't worry Mom, I'll be safe). This course was designed to educate us on how to react to those situations. It started off by identifying how to stay warm and safe in cold weather conditions. The key is to stoke the furnace (eat), hydrate, and exercise to stimulate the metabolism. Seems like common sense, but is extremely vital. With moderate winds and temps hovering around 0 degrees the whole time, following these three rules kept me warm and healthy. While still in the classroom we went over how to detect and prevent hypothermia as well as frost bite. We then took a short shuttle to a location known as Happy Camper. First we learned how to use a whisper light stove, in order to create water from snow and prepare food. Next we learned how to construct different types of structures to provide shelter from the elements. These included Scott tents (tent sleeping 3 to 4, used by Robert F. Scott, the Famed Antarctic Explorer), mountain tents (typical four season tents but learned how to anchor them in snow), a quinzhee (similar to an igloo but made from a snow pile not snow blocks), and finally a covered snow trench. We also learned how to construct snow walls to block the wind. After teaching us this, our two extremely knowledgeable instructors left us to cope on our own. Each person was free to choose where and how they wanted to spend the night. I chose to build a snow trench. I was provided with a sleeping pad, fleece blanket, and cold weather sleeping bag. After digging and covering the trench with snow blocks, I turned in around 2300 hours (11:00 p.m.). The insulation of the snow around me and my body heat in the sleeping bag kept me warm through the night. The next morning we were up at 0630 (6:30 a.m.) to break down camp and be ready for the hypothetical helo transport at 8:30. After camp was broken down we returned to the warming hut off in the distance for more instruction. This included communication operations with high frequency radios and risk management. We then assembled into groups and put white buckets over our heads. Why you ask? To simulate white out conditions. While it felt a little funny, it definitely simulated how scary and disorienting a white out could be. Our last test was to use all the tools we learned over the past 24 hours, in a simulated emergency situation. As a group, we simultaneously set up radio communications, built a shelter (mountain tent) for a victim with two broken legs, and made a warm drink for an individual with hypothermia. We treated it with the sense and urgency of a real situation, and succeeded. Being a snowboarder who occasionally travels into the backcountry in search of that epic ride, these are tools I will be able to use for the rest of my life. It's already day three in Antarctica and I have had a lot of information thrown at me. Each day brings new experiences, I can't wait to see what's next!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Wow Corey
It's 42 degrees with a wind chill of 35 and I‘m complaining already. Some parts of New York already had snow and I’m dreading it coming over here. Your mom must be so thrilled to know that you are spending the night in a cold snow trench. See Gary I told you he was going to build an igloo. Corey I’m curious about what you guys are going to do on the weekends didn’t see the local nightclub or bar in the pictures what are you guys going to do for fun? Let us know I have to go now take care and stay warm.
Corey:
Loved getting the call last night and I woke up this morning with the urgency to turn on the computer to see pictures and what you have written. It sounds like something out of the national geographic, so thrilling for you and the people you are with. I am glad you had a good night sleep in the snow trench. We are really looking forward to the next entry, Love, MOM
CWIL glad to hear you made it down on the ice safely. I hope you had a good time with the Kiwi's in their homeland. I think you might have found a new profession of writing blogs, this pretty good! We miss you here in the Rockies but we know you are making the world a better place. The weather here will be 75 all week with no snow in the forecast. Keep it fresh down there and I hope to talk to you soon.
Brad
CW were all pumped for you! Hope your staying warm down there! Waterville received 1-3 inches around the mountain with more to come! When you get back you can use those block cutting skills to build us a nice back country booter! Be safe !
Cunha
Bro you look like your having a good time!
With your ice block building we should make a serious back country jump when you get back. this pics are insane i like the buckets on the head one but it would suck to be in a white out that bad. looks good and stay warm and take care of your self.
Blog is rad C-Will keep it up and have a great time.
Corey... Awesome, I love it! Will you be seeing Emperor Penguins and other Antarctic animals or is that different from the point of your trip?
I'm glad everyone is enjoying my posts. I'm still a bit new to the whole idea of blogging so it can only get better. Frank, there are some local bars in town but I will only remain in town for about another week. After that I will ship out to a field camp and live out of a tent for about 3 months. Returning to McMurdo once or twice for a few days to resupply over the course of those three months. The sacrifice for science. Allicyn, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to come in contact with any Emperor Penguins. However, after I take a hiking course and become certified I can hike to whats known as Scott Hut, where Robert F. Scott spent his last days. I hear there is the possibility of seeing some penguins if I'm lucky. Mom, the next entry should be coming up soon. For all you other hooligans, get on that shred!!
Cor:
The time travel clock really is a helpful tool. Dad and I find ourselves trying to figure your time and our time out a lot. Now I can just look on your blog, thanks. I think you are doing an awesome job on the blog, it is new to me too and it is really fun!! What will happen when you are out at a field camp, will you still be able to use the internet and consequently the blog?? Otherwise, how will we hear from you???? You have got to take that hike you mentioned to Scott Hut, very historical and also maybe see an Emperor penquin. Take care my son, love you lots, miss you too, MOM
Hi Corey
It's a chilly 32 this morning in Raynham, Ma. I'm sure it would be considered a heat wave where you are. Glad to hear that there is a bar where you are now so enjoy it because it sounds like it’s going to be a long three months. We hope that you can continue writing about your journey when you go off to field camp. If you ever get tired of freezing your butt off at the bottom of the world. You could become a writer because you are good. When we read your blog it’s like we are there with you. Just think you could be writing books in a hut on a tropical island. I have to go back to work now your dad should be coming in soon. Can’t wait to see more pictures of snow. Stay safe and keep warm.
Corey,
What you're doing is truly amazing. The pictures, blog posts and comments really show us (people back in the states) something you could never see or read in a history book. I can't wait to hear more about your time in the South Pole. I have already added this blog as one of my favorites and I'm encouraging other's (random people) to read and explore with you. Have fun!
Your Favorite Cedar Hill Neighbor,
Ted
Corey,
I am super impressed! What a life experience. You're a great writer and I'm encouraging everyone I know to follow along and read about your amazing adventure on this blog. So glad to hear you are having such an amazing time. Stay safe and warm!
~Courtney
P.S. Wish you had known how to build igloos back when we were kids on Cedar Hill!
Hey Corey
What an awesome adventure. Drop a titlest down on that ice and maybe, just maybe you can outdrive me. Glad to see your are being trained to shelter someone with a broken leg or two. No telling when that might come in handy. Keep the pictures and comments coming. Ther are fascinating. have fun, savor every moment and stay safe. Big Ed
I read your letter to the students at Ford today. They were all quite impressed and have several good questions. We're looking foward to hearing about all of your adventures.
Cor:
Let me be the first to wish you a HAPPY HALLOWEEN down on the ice. Obviously because of the time zone difference and where you are, it is already Halloween. Are there any festivities for this American Celebration down there? Dressing up as a penguin perhaps, only kidding. Love you much, MOM
Hi Corey
My dad told me about your adventure.Can't wait to see more pictures and read more.
Post a Comment