I've received some great questions from Mr. Saulnier's Science class at FMS, many of which you may have thought about yourselves. Here's a little Q & A and if anyone has some questions not yet asked, don't hesitate.
Work:
How long will your work day be?
My work day will vary but will generally be 8 to 12 hours. It is called "work" but part of the job is hiking to gauge boxes on the streams. The hikes can be short or take all day. Some call that work but I think I'll enjoy it, given the terrain and location.
How long will it take for you to get to your research grounds?
The Dry Valleys are about a 45 minute to an hour helicopter ride from McMurdo Station. Once at the research area we can hike between lakes/streams or take helo rides depending on distance and equipment we will be bringing with us.
What do you use for transportation?
While in the Dry Valleys we have access to snowmobiles and an ATV but are only allowed to use those to get around on the ice covered lakes. This is so we don't disrupt or alter the surrounding environment and are in compliance with the Antarctic Treaty. The Antarctic Treaty is a treaty between 46 nations to, among other purposes, preserve the Antarctic environment for scientific investigation.
Accomodations:
Will you be in one building or several small buildings?
Right now in town there are many large buildings for housing, eating, research, and equipment. Once out in the field I will be living out of a tent. We are supplied with two sleeping beds, a fleece blanket, and a sleeping bag that is rated to -30 degrees farenheit. I hope I don't have to test that rating.
What is there to do for entertainment?
I've brought down a pretty good supply of books for entertainment. I also have my laptop to watch DVDs and access the internet. Once in the Valleys I will go on hikes and take pictures of all the amazing views. It will be light out all the time so no need worry about being home before it gets dark.
Food & Water:
What will you be eating? Is it like Army rations, space food, regular food, etc.?
I will actually be pulling my food for the season tomorrow. I hear its like a grocery store but without having to pay at the check out counter. We have a list of what we can get and the majority of it is normal food that you guys eat back in the states.
Do you melt ice for water or did you bring it with you?
At the start of the season we will be melting glacial ice for our water supply. Once the ice thins on the lakes we will drill a hole in the ice to get access to the water below.
What is the weather like there?
The weather has been around 0 to 15 degrees. Its often cloudy but when the sun comes out it is really nice, relatively speaking. The coldest part is the wind chill factor. Once the wind picks up, it is numbing. We are at the end of spring and heading into summer where temperatures will be hovering around freezing. I believe the highest the temperature will get is 40 degrees.
Thank you Mr. Saulnier's class for the questions!
5 comments:
Cor:
Great questions from the FMS students. I am sure they will learn a lot from your experiences, I know I have. It does sound really cold down there right now, I know you will stay warm with all of your equipment, so we won't worry, but you know we will of course. The pictures you will be taking are going to be beautiful. You will have to take some, pick one, so that I can do a painting for you. By the way, we had only 28 trick or treaters and there was no shaving cream, no TP, nothing like the old days. Just to answer Frank's question about the election, Corey turned in his absentee ballot before he left Colorado, what a good citizen. Well Cor, looking forward to our next phone call with you, Love, MOM and DAD
Hi Corey
Today it's 42 with a wind chill of 38 and you know by now my thoughts on that. Great pictures and yes what a view if you like snow. Great questions from the students I bet they will be all excited to get their answers. Thank you Mrs. Wilson for the vote answer yes Corey is a great citizen. If Corey did it there should be no excuse for not getting out there and voting. Wife and I have to go out shopping now and yes we have to stop at the check out and leave all that money behind. Stay safe and keep warm....
yo bro i remeber his 8th grade sciences class and how much fun it was. your job is like a science class but its real life. sorry i missed ur call look forward for ur next one. talk to u soon. peace bro
Hi Cory -
Well my students are fascinated with your adventure, and we, too, are following your pictures and travels everyday. They also have questions, more technology related, but we'll follow Mr. Saulnier's students for now.....They've already asked me if you would be able to come in as a guest speaker later in the school year. We'll have to make arrangements whenever you are back visiting in Acushnet! Everyone in the Guenette household sends their good wishes to you! You are an amazing writer....keep the blogs coming!
Love, Mrs. G.
Whats up corey I was reading yesterdays paper and saw you on the front page of the standard times living section. Look at you kid in antarctica. Who can say they went to antarctica? but anyway we sold our house in acushnet and are now living on Long Pond. Looks like you doing some good things for yourself you keep up the good work. When you come back in the area maybe i'll see u around.
P.S. My mom says you are the coolest kid ever.lol
And i could have predicted all the wilson brothers living in colorado...shredin it up everyday possible.
take care of yourself
Post a Comment