Sunday, November 30, 2008

Turkey on the Ice...

Making Our Way Across the Canada Glacier
MMMmmmmm...
My New Dew?

I wanted to give a quick update of my Thanksgiving Day experience in Antarctica.  On Wednesday, my team and I left our camp at F6, hiked across Lake Fryxell, the Canada Glacier, and down to Lake Hoare.  We joined other Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) teams who study the glaciers and another that studies the lakes in the Dry Valleys.  On Thursday the table was set for 14 people, which included the science teams and support staff.  There were originally supposed to be 7 others but, due to poor weather conditions, they were unable to be flown to our camp.  I would have enjoyed the company but it also meant more turkey and pie for us.  Quite a few of us dawned wigs for fun (hey its Antarctica) and loaded our plates with some tasty food.  The menu included green salad (a rarity on the ice), mashed potatoes, pumpkin dinner rolls, apple vegetable stuffing, corn bread pudding, sweet potato pie, and roasted vegetables.  Oh and how could I forget....a 24 pound bird and 7 assorted pies!!  Good conversations and many laughs were had.  This will be a Thanksgiving I won't soon forget.

I have received some great questions from students at Old Colony High School in Rochester, Massachusetts and I will be posting the answers to those shortly.  Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Mrs.V. said...

Hey Corey,
Glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Was not the same at our house without any Wilsons there.I am enjoying reading what you are doing there.It's very easy to understand. And you definitely need to keep the wig. It's definitely you!! Take care,
Mrs. V.

Anonymous said...

Cor:

Just got home from Gramps and Nana's for the Turkey Day/Birthday party weekend. Everyone was asking about all three of you boys and especially about your adventures Down on the Ice. Many have checked out the blog. Dad and I just laughed and laughed at the pictures. Glad to see you are eating your veggies, love the wig and glasses. The beard looks awesome too. Talk to you soon, Love, MOM

Shannon said...

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving Corey! We miss you!