When I first told people I was heading to the ice, I often got questions about the animal life that I might come into contact with. I wasn't sure myself, so I decided to do some research as to what to expect, and to make sure I could answer those questions accurately. Unlike the other pole to the North, there are no polar bears in Antarctica. This means I will be able to sleep comfortably in my tent knowing I won't have to worry about being someone's dinner. The other most common question asked was about penguins. While there are no penguins in the Arctic, there are penguins in Antarctica, but I am unlikely to see them where I will be going. But who knows, I might get lucky. If I do find myself in the vicinity of any kind of wildlife, there are strict laws in the Antarctic Treaty that restrict my interaction with them. The rule is, if the animal begins to react to your presence, you are too close and must leave the area immediately. With that being said, I wanted to post this link to an interactive map of animal life in Antarctica: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/antarctica. Check it out and learn some cool facts....I know I did!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Cor:
I loved going into the different links you put into this blog entry to learn more about Antarctica. It would be awesome if you saw some penguins. A lot of the students I have in school have asked me if you will see some. Didn't you say at one point that you saw a seal, that's pretty neat. I am thrilled that there are no polar bears and that you will be safe in your tent, what starting next week, you must be getting anxious to get out in the field. Keep the info coming, you have 600 hits at this point, people love reading it all, Love you lots, MOM
Bro:
this blog ur putting up is sick i feel like im down there with you. i wish i could be down there to expeirence this with you but maybe we could make some arrangements so we could make that happen. just kidding thats way to expensive for me. take some pics of some penguins if u see them and maybe capture one and take it back to boulder and him and mia could be good friends. Most of my friends love ur blogs and think its so cool that my brother is in antartica. Oh the mountains got about a foot of snow last night and keystone opens today and breck opens sunday. I will be shredding the gnar this weekend maybe with brad. TTYL bro
Scotty
Good morning Corey,
Weather looks cold still at 9 degrees. Good luck if you head for the fields tomorrow. Enjoy the helicopter ride. Take good pictures.
Pats and Buff Sun. Winner in 1st. Tight race in AFC East.
Best wishes (and stay warm),
Dad
Yo man sorry its been awhile since i have posted. I usually look at this thing first thing at work everyday and I am not allowed to post on their network. Looks pretty cold down there but that red jacket does look pretty warm. Denver is finally starting to get a little colder and snow is starting to fly so the shred is on. We will have to hit it up when you get back to the mainland. I hope all is well and maybe a few prospects have arrived. Keep it fresh and have fun on that heilo ride.
Cwilly the blog is great! All us of at the shop have been following along with every post. It's a new lesson every time we open the page. We want to see some make shift boarding down there some how! Keep up the good!
Cunha
Post a Comment