Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Time Has Come...

Atop Observation Hill
Mt. Erebus, a volcano
Sometimes I can't believe where I am (taken around midnight)

I've been in Mactown for two weeks now and have started to get a bit restless.  The sampling equipment and field gear is ready,  the bags are packed, and the real adventure is about to begin.  Tomorrow (Monday), at 1450 hours (2:50 p.m.), I will hop into a helicopter and take about a 45 minute ride to Lake Hoare camp in the Dry Valleys.  I've never been in a helicopter before, so that in and of itself will be an experience.  As you might expect, this trip has checked quite a few "things to do before you die" off my list.  I will leave my nice room with a desk, bed, and dresser.  I will leave running water and a warm shower.  I will leave buildings, a dining hall, a lab, and an office.  I will leave People.  While in the field, my team will consist of 3 to 4 people, but occasionally we will also come into contact with other science groups conducting research.  My days will consist of hikes, helo rides, and sampling.  Not a bad gig.  I feel prepared and excited about what's to come.  I will have internet access, so the posts and pictures will continue.  Until next time...  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cor:
Well you are all over the Standard Times this morning. A great article. You have to go to southcoasttoday.com and check it out. You must be getting excited about going out into the field. I am so glad you will have the internet because we really want to keep up the communication. You look pretty great in these new pictures. Enjoy your first helicopter ride, love you much MOM

Unknown said...

Yo, Corey - quite a shock when I read the paper this morning! Glad to see you are on a Great Adventure. Unfortunatley, your snowboarding career has taken a back-seat, yes? :-)
I have already forwarded the article to Leah, Jonathan, and Mike, so don't be surprised if you hear from them. I will also share this with all your old pals at Titleist - everyone will be quite amused and proud of you. Let me know if you need a "care package"...maybe some food item unavailable out there that you are craving? A new game to while away the down-time hours? Whatever...
Best regards,
Kevin Harris

Shannon said...

Good luck Corey! Enjoy your adventure. Can't wait to read more. Stay warm and safe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Corey

You have made the paper WOW you must be all excited. It’s a great story finally the Standard Times has something worth reading. Glad to hear you are finally going to the field to do your testing. Talk to you soon stay safe and keep warm.

Anonymous said...

I must say you are now an Acushnet celebrity. I read the article in the Strandard Times and was shocked (in a good way) to read about your adventure. Congratulations to you and best of luck, I am sure you'll find something that looks like a snowboard and a hill to practice on. Keep up the good work.

Frank D said...

Hi Corey,
This is my firt time on your blog, your father is so proud of you. He came to me this afternoon at J&J and told me all about your story in the paper. After reading it I felt compelled to go to your blog. You are an excellent writer and the pictures are amazing.

Please keep up the good work, stay safe and warm.

Best Regards,
Frank Diaz

PS My curious wife wants to know if all your electricity is solar and how the plumbing works???